In the books, the Smugglers were a faction located between the Galaxy at large and the Freemen of Arrakis.
- Scavengers are opportunistic killers, ready to do anything for easy money. They prefer to attack weak, starving units with their sharpened blades. Their strength increases when their target stocks decrease.
- Destroyers use chemical weapons to reduce the supply of enemies in their area of attack, making them the perfect unit to allow their allies to loot in comfort.
- Snipers, deadly marksmen with modified sniper rifles, have the longest attack range on Arrakis. Given their camouflage, they are able to finish off fleeing units.
- The Free companies are the most notorious assassins and bounty hunters in the Imperium, armed with dual swords and impressive stealth gear. Their versatility stems largely from their ability to mimic the skills of their targets during combat.
- The Combat Drone is a powerful, highly agile mechanical unit designed for autonomous combat and supporting smuggler troops.